[PD] wiiremote b4

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Jan 9 04:53:33 CET 2007

On Jan 8, 2007, at 5:54 PM, Mike Wozniewski wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I'm in the process of getting the Wii remote working with Pd under
> Linux. It doesn't seem that the [wiiremote] object ported from Max
> works under anything but Darwin... at least, this is my impression
> from looking at the source and makefile. Would anyone know what it
> would take to compile under Linux?

> I have had success getting readings using the driver found here:
> http://www.wiili.org/index.php/WMD
>
> The Wii remote follows the Bluetooth HID standard, so I am trying
> to use Hans-Christoph Steiner's [hid], but the external assumes
> that all hid devices exist at locations like: /dev/input/event1
>
> The WMD driver assigns the remote to /dev/input/uinput (because it
> uses the uinput kernel module). Is there any way to tell the [hid]
> object to look there instead?

[wiiremote] uses the Apple Bluetooth HID API, so it'll only work on
Mac OS X/Darwin.  It would take porting it to the Linux/bluez API.

Currently, the only way to change the device used is to change the
source code and reimplement it.  But we'll add uinput support to
hidio, which is currently under development.  It's included in the
nightly test builds already (the ones with a date).

.hc