[Pd] Playing a bitmap

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Tue Jan 23 06:57:02 CET 2007

Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
> On 1/23/07, Claude Heiland-Allen <claudiusmaximus at goto10.org> wrote:
>> Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
>> > Has anyone done this with Pd?  I thought I remembered something in
>> > GEM, but I can't find it anywhere.  Just to have a cursor scroll left
>> > to right and assign the different values of pixels to different
>> > musical properties...
>> >
>> > -Chuckk
>> >

>> Like this?
>>
>> http://gridflow.ca/gallery/photo_pianoroll.pd.gif
>
> Yeah, I think so.  How's it work?
> Thanks for sharing.
>
> -Chuckk

Not sure exactly, it's not my patch, but from the screenshot it looks
like it copies a scanline of greyscale pixels into an array, then
rescales the array exponentially into annother array (frequency<->pitch
conversion), then does an inverse fft and sends the resulting audio to
dac~; the partials of the output sound being determined by the
particular scanline of the image that was just copied to the array.

I think this technique is a form of "scanned synthesis", but I'm not an
expert on terminology.  At least searching pd-list for that term shows
up some interesting results...

Claude