[PD] Audio Manipulations in Wavelet Domain Information

padawan12 padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Sat Jan 27 08:15:26 CET 2007

That's a wonderful explanation and exploration of wavelets Raul.
In particular I think your diagrams of the analysis and resynthesis
processes are very good.

While the idea of wavelet resynthesis isn't new the transformations
you're showing in chapter 3 seem insightful and original.
And they're in Puredata! :) Your patches make this process much more
accessible to the rest of us. Thankyou very much!

A couple of refs I think you might have missed and may want to
look at are

Grossman and Morlet 1984 - decomposition of Hardy functions
Gianpaolo Evengelista 1991 - Wavelet transforms we can play
(although I think that one is already in De Poli)

A question regarding one part I still don't understand. Are you
saying it's only possible to manipulate time in powers or two,
like ... 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 1, 2, 4, 8 ...? Or is that a limitation
of the implementation (your stretch function).

Also, what are the possibilites for interpolating between wavelet
coefficients taken from different sounds as a kind of cross-synthesis?
(rather than merely mixing grains taken from different sources).
It seems well suited to this, but I'm guessing because I've never
worked with this method practically.

Great work.

Andy