[PD] number boxes and GOP under Windows

Damian Stewart damian at frey.co.nz
Sat Jan 27 01:38:28 CET 2007

Has anyone noticed some nasty performance issues over time running patches
with number boxes and GOP?

Number boxes seem to affect performance proportionately to how many times
they've changed. Leaving a patch open that has multiple number boxes that
change a few times every second (for example bars:beats:ticks timer) for an
hour or more can sometimes bring my system to a grinding halt. Restarting
PD and reloading the patch usually fixes it.

This seems to exacerbated if the number boxes are within a GOP canvas, and
even more so if said GOP canvas is contained in another GOP canvas (for
example, a GOP VU inside a GOP preamp).

My immediate guess is that the number box code is doing dynamic memory
allocation, and fragmenting memory over time. Is this a PD thing or a
tcl/tk thing?

--
Damian Stewart
+64 27 305 4107