[PD] slowly load a pd-patches/abs without dropouts

Tim Blechmann tim at klingt.org
Sun Jan 28 02:12:15 CET 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-26 at 11:38 +0100, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> > i guess if i can do it in userspace, it is possible in pd itself.
>
> possible is almost everything with software, but how much effort does
> it need? rewriting pd?
> though i am not too much a techie myself, i hear voices saying, that
> despite the upcoming multicore-processor, pd won't be able to do
> threading in the near future (which would be necessary in order to
> make
> use of the additional calculating power). from my understanding of
> things, i'd say, that in order to avoid drop-outs on patch-load (or
> file/audiosample-load), pd would require threading (please someone
> correct me, if i am totally mistaken). afaik, pd-dev does already some
> of it (e.g. when reading a soundfile into an array).

all threaded implementations of the soundfiler/sndfiler have the
problem, that the dsp chain needs to be resorted after loading a file to
a table ... so, an audio dropout will occur, when the dsp chain is
resorted.

tim

--
tim at klingt.org    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk

I must say I find television very educational. The minute somebody
turns it on, I go to the library and read a good book.
  Groucho Marx