[PD] general libdir question

martin.peach at sympatico.ca martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Mon Jan 29 20:55:03 CET 2007

> From: Georg Holzmann <grhPD at gmx.at>
> Date: 2007/01/29 Mon PM 02:21:59 EST
> To: Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org>
> CC: pd-list at iem.at
> Subject: Re: [PD] general libdir question
> The problem is, that canvas-local search path really tread each path as
> local to the canvas-path ( see line 1561 in g_canvas.c).
> So if you add e.g. /usr/local/lib/pd/extra/iemmatrix, it will search for
> this path, but local to the canvas path - so if I started Pd from
> /home/me it will search in /home/me//usr/local/lib/pd/extra/iemmatrix !
>
> Is this a feature or a bug of Pd ?

I would say it's a bug: I would expect that if the first character of the path is a slash, it's an absolute address, otherwise it's relative to the canvas path. So "/usr/local" is absolute but "usr/local" is relative to the canvas path. In Windows there's also the problem of specifying drives as in "C:/pd", so it's necessary to look for a letter followed by a colon followed by a slash in the first three characters of the path. And then there's double slashes for networked drives...

Martin