Broken links all over the place in Pd-extended help files (was: [PD] mapping library examples)

Kyle Klipowicz kyleklip at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 07:01:47 CET 2007

Oh, ok. That sounds awesome and useful, thanks for the info!

However...

I tried looking at a random mapping patch in pd-0.39.2-extended-test7
but got what I did a few months back when I tried to look at it.

I opened the amplitude_n-help.pd file and it generated this:

error: inlet: expected '' but got 'list'
error: inlet: expected '' but got 'list'
error: inlet: expected '' but got 'list'
error: inlet: expected '' but got 'list'
error: inlet: expected '' but got 'list'
error: inlet: expected '' but got 'list'
error: inlet: expected '' but got 'list'
error: inlet: expected '' but got 'list'

etc.

I found the culprit:

inside the min_n.pd abstraction there are two undefined objects,
minimum and maximum.

Now my question is this: If we are getting to the point of expecting
users to magically know how use the import function, why is it not
automatgically included in all the help patches that utilize functions
that must be imported in order to not create a broken patch?

It seems to me that all help patches should include the necessary
import calls so that they are not broken. It seems to me that more
than half of the included help patches that I try to open on a fresh
Pd-extended install (following all install instruction, i.e. copy the
proper files to places on OSX) are broken for this reason. If this is
the case, how can we claim that Pd-extended is easier to use and more
refined?

Please don't take these criticisms personally, I am a big fan of the
work that has gone into this project. I would just like to understand
these things. I may be missing something. But if I am, then for sure a
hundred less-experienced users are too, and they may be scared away!

With respect,

~Kyle