[PD] RE: [GEM-dev] Re: pix_video and dv1394 capture on Edgy

Thoralf Schulze thoralf_schulze at yahoo.de
Sat Feb 3 22:47:06 CET 2007

hi ivica/all,

--- Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico.bukvic at gmail.com> wrote:

> Based on my tests I am suspecting that this is a
> lib/distro-independent
> issue, and as such am also wondering what will
> happen with pd/gem on Linux
> in 6 months when most of the other distros pump out
> their next release with
> libs similar to Edgy (maybe some of them already
> are?) leaving gem video for

hey, this prophecy became true here on gentoo
yesterday: same symptoms as you described, dv input
hardly worked at all: doing the driver 1 / open
/dev/1394 magic made it work sometimes, altough the
chroma and luma planes were appearantly swapped (red
became blue and vice versa, pix_colormatrix with a 0 0
1 0 1 0 1 0 0 matrix corrected this).
today i re-compiled gem from cvs, and now it doesn't
work at all :-(
i had the idea to frameserve video into gem, but that
concept doesn't seem to exist on linux yet. both
ffmpeg and dvgrab are able to output to a pipe, but
that doesn't help very much in this case. hopefully
avisynth 3 will become usable soon, making gem
gstreamer-aware might also be a good idea ... I've
read that you also tried vloopback, have you had any
success with this?

with kind regards,