[PD] difference between protocol

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Sun Feb 4 17:55:32 CET 2007

juto aviten wrote:
> Hi pders,
> just a simple question :
>
> what's the real difference for you between
> netsend/netreceive/netserver & OSC objects?
The netsend group pass pd messages terminated with a semicolon, while
the OSC group use the Open Sound Control protocol
(http://www.cnmat.berkeley.edu/OpenSoundControl/OSC-spec.html)
to pass floats, integers or strings, with a path-like address.

> I don't see real difference between both of it in term of transmitting
> a tcp/udp message through network...
The OSC objects only use UDP, butI made an alternate set
(at http://pure-data.cvs.sourceforge.net/pure-data/externals/mrpeach/net
and http://pure-data.cvs.sourceforge.net/pure-data/externals/mrpeach/osc)
that let you use either UDP or TCP.
Also my net objects take lists of bytes (really floats because pd
doesn't have bytes) so any kind of message can be sent/received.
Netsend is the easiest to use if you want to communicate between pd and
pd, or max. Most audio synthesis applications (csound, supercollider,
etc.) can only handle OSC over UDP.

Martin