[PD] puredatabase

Steffen stffn at dibidut.dk
Mon Feb 5 16:56:17 CET 2007

On 05/02/2007, at 16.04, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Steffen wrote:
>>
>> On 05/02/2007, at 15.10, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>>
>>> help with database-design and -maintenance might be appreciated.
>>
>> I guess a list of object and there relation can be fetched by parsing
>> the code in CVS. The metadata could provide some description but
>> not per
>> object except for the cases where an external only have one object
>> (or
>
> this i don't understand.

I thought that the description was per object, hence not per group of
externals. Fx. the metadata for zexy says "swiss army knife for pd".
I can't just find one, but there could well be a group of  externals
with only one object, in which case the description of the group of
externals would be the same as the for the that one object. So i most
cases manual editing of descriptions would be needed especially if
the description is to be per object.

> apart from that:
> personally i am not convinced that the database should be created
> on the
> fly from CVS for various reasons:
> - code would have to follow a certain outline in order to make this
> work

Ok. I thought that such outline was already established by m_pd.h or
"the way" to write externals.

> - separation between code and documentation is rather low (coders
> usually hate to documentate their stuff; so a host of volunteers is
> needed to do the documentation; they don't necessarily need to
> interfere
> with the source-code for this task)
> - accuracy tends to be low with automated systems
>

> so i think that the database ought to be manually maintained.

Ok. I was just suggesting what i thought would be the easiest way to
keep the database accuracy high, since, as you say, coders don't
necessarily do the docs - or just might not see the use for a
database. That's all.

And thanks for the other answers.

best, steffen