[PD] Question reference patches

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Feb 7 10:58:11 CET 2007

Jiri Heitlager wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i am building a project that uses several audio channels. That is all
> working well. No I have one question. I have build one channel and put
> that into a patch [pd channel] Each [pd channel] holds a [dac~ n]. If I

a [pd] is NOT a patch but a sub-patch. it's only purpose is to make your
code more readable by hiding stuff (well, not entirely true when it
comes to datastructures, but ignore this for now), and NOT for re-using
code.
for this you have to make _abstraction_s.
an "abstraction" is a pd patch saved to disk.

e.g. create a new patch ("Ctrl-N"), copy the channel-code in there, and
save it as "channel.pd". now you can create objects [channel], each
holding one instance of the channel-code.

of course you will have to parametrize your abstraction by use of
arguments (dollargs): use [dac~ $1] within the channel.pd and call it as
[channel 5] which will magically address the [dac~ 5] within this instance.

this is certainly described within the documentation that comes with pd
(e.g. doc/2.control.examples/12.PART2.subpath.pd)

mfg.asdr.
IOhannes