[PD] puredatabase

padawan12 padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Fri Feb 9 07:16:02 CET 2007

Yes. At the risk of building a whole content management system (is
puredatabase still built on Zope/Plone?) this seems the sensible format.
At some point I would like to move some tutorials I've made onto the system.
These are mainly HTML with diagrams and links to patches and sounds. A really
thorough system would allow this and make it easy.

But, from a development POV might I suggest that this is ambitious and one
would be best to concentrate on just getting it to work right with .pd files
to begin with, then add the bells and whistles to allow richer content. But
being mindful of future content types cant hurt.

One interesting and challenging enough problem that already exists is how to
make sure that help/tutorial/exmaple patches that depend on certain
abstractions and externals will always load.

This is a dependency issue not dissimilar to the pakage management needed
in something like the Debian apt repository system. It may be possible
to tag each resource with its minimum version and libraries needed, or it
might be better to hold multiple verions of the same resource and be able
to browse by platform and current Pd version.

The way I see it, Puredatabase is not just there to organise and structure
documentation, it is there to make maintainance as easy as possible. We have
an ongoing struggle to keep helpfiles up to date. One of the views, for
maintainers, should reflect those needs. It should be easy enough to use
so that anyone who spots an error or omission can quickly log in and make
changes Wiki style.

Hope I'm not just prattling on about issues you've already considered.