[PD] audio send recieve feedback quirk

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Feb 10 00:51:50 CET 2007

Hallo,
Derek Holzer hat gesagt: // Derek Holzer wrote:

> and thanks for all that! I'll make sure it goes into every tutorial I
> ever write ever again ;-)
>
> But actually, what I was referring to was this problem of--for
> example--having a feedback system where the send~ is inside a subpatch
> and the receive~ is outside of it. IIRC, you have to be very careful
> about whether you create the send~ subpatch first or the receive~ first.

Just remember, that everything, that is connected directly trough
signal cords, will be evaluated top to bottom, and everything that is
not connected through signal chords, will be evaluated in "random"
order, but it can be made to appear to be connected with signal cords
by putting it into subpatches, even if these subpatches are just
connected with dummy in/outlet~s.

> One way gave me a DSP loop and the other way didn't, and I couldn't
> figure out why it would work like that at all. Maybe I'll have to sit
> down and make an example of what I mean, or you could try it for
> yourself and see. This problem made me totally crazy while trying to
> make a feedback-modulated AM/FM synth several months ago.

For feedback stuff you will always have one block delay. So the goal
should be to get the smallest block size possible/necessary, and you
do that by re-block~ing a *single* subpatch. Inside of this subpatch
one should put only the objects necessary, nothing more, to save CPU
cycles. You may forget about the [pd write]---[pd read] stuff as soon
as feedback is involved, it won't help anyway.

Ciao