[PD] Re: namecanvas

Derek Holzer derek at umatic.nl
Sat Feb 10 03:39:49 CET 2007

Hmmm....funny, they just had a big discussion on the SuperCollider list
about whether or not more "Windows-like" sanity checks to save the
application from programmers who don't know how to program was
necessary. Usually such "fool-proofing" kinds of checks come at an added
expense in terms of CPU overhead. Some people went on the side of
"people should read the manual and know what they are doing", and some
thought the application should work harder to save them from themselves,
and they were ready to accept a certain decrease in efficiency to do so.

It is worthwhile not to forget that PD is a programming language, and
that it is used to write applications. So erroneous input from the
programmer is perfectly capable of crashing without recovery...i.e.
patch author=programmer, not end-user. In my own little chunk of
reality, if you author a patch that is tested for all versions of PD and
all OSes, then it is your responsibility to make sure it is robust
enough to withstand "stupid user tricks". But that's what makes PD so
damed fun, innit?

my two-euro-bits,
d.

--