[PD] audio send recieve feedback quirk

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Feb 10 18:43:43 CET 2007

Hallo,
Steffen hat gesagt: // Steffen wrote:

> On 10/02/2007, at 0.51, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
> >Just remember, that everything, that is connected directly trough
> >signal cords, will be evaluated top to bottom, and everything that is
> >not connected through signal chords, will be evaluated in "random"
> >order [...]
>
> But it properly isn't random, as from the quote from Millers book
> says "in reality Pd executes them all in a sequential order". The
> lesson learned from here, from Frank, is, as i understand it, that if
> the order is not directly defined via cords, then one can't be sure
> to know what happens.

Yep, exactly.

Of course, not much in a computer is truly random, but from a patch
author's and user's point of view, in the end the order of executing
non-local connections appears "random". If you look at a patch you
built one week ago, do you remember the order you made the
connections?  And maybe you copied and pasted some stuff, used Ctrl-Z
or something else, which may have changed the order without you
knowing it.

That's why I really prefer to call this "random" or "undefined" or
"ambigous" in a non-scientific, practical sense. It may work now, but
may break tomorrow.

Also one should be aware, that very often the actual order of
execution of signal cords doesn't matter. It does matter in waveguide
stuff or in comb filters where you need these small delay times.

Ciao