[PD] hid compatibility

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Tue Feb 13 06:02:02 CET 2007

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> On Feb 11, 2007, at 2:11 PM, João Miguel Pais wrote:
>
>>> There is a test version of [hidio] working on Windows, including
>>> output support.  We are working on making a release.
>>>
>>> But Wacoms will only be supported by [hidio] on GNU/Linux because on
>>> Windows and Mac OS X, you have to install the Wacom drivers, which
>>> do not use the HID API, but instead their own custom API.
>>
>> that's a drag. there's now way to avoid that? do you know any other
>> tablets which allow pressure/tilt sensoring?
>>
>> do you also know if it's possible to use this tablet and a mouse
>> together in windows? (that is, the tablet doesn't control the pointer)
>
> I don't know the answer to either question, but also would be
> interested in hearing answers...
The tablet and the mouse both work at the same time, so if both are
moving, you get a mix of both. It's the same if you plug two or more
mice into the machine, but the tablet has absolute position so the
cursor jitters if it's being driven by a mouse at the same time, while
the mouse relative offsets add together to make the cursor move.
Wacom seem to have APIs available for the usual suspects at
http://www.wacomeng.com/devsupport/index.html

Martin