[PD] hid compatibility

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Feb 13 16:14:53 CET 2007

On Feb 13, 2007, at 5:02 AM, João Miguel Pais wrote:

>> The tablet and the mouse both work at the same time, so if both
>> are moving, you get a mix of both. It's the same if you plug two
>> or more mice into the machine, but the tablet has absolute
>> position so the cursor jitters if it's being driven by a mouse at
>> the same time, while the mouse relative offsets add together to
>> make the cursor move.
>> Wacom seem to have APIs available for the usual suspects at http://
>> www.wacomeng.com/devsupport/index.html
>
> that's unfortunately not that flexible. so if I would want to get
> some values from the table while playing the it, and at the same
> time control my patch with the mouse, it wouldn't be possible for
> the tablet not to control the pointer but still send in?
> and if I want to use the values from the click, it can happen that
> the table will just click anything on the screen?
>

> I guess that's a behaviour from windows, and not from this (or any
> other) tablet, right?

[hid] and [hidio] get the data straight from the device, so you can
get data from multiple devices separately with no problem.  But the
OS also gets the data and uses it to move the mouse pointer.  I know
of no way to stop Windows from using a mouse's data from moving the
mouse.  In GNU/Linux/XWindows, it's pretty straightforward.

.hc

> João Miguel Pais

Terrorism is not an enemy.  It cannot be defeated.  It's a tactic.
expect we're going to win that war.  We're not going to win the war
on terrorism.        - retired U.S. Army general, William Odom