[PD] measuring distance between speaker and microphon

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Wed Feb 14 17:03:41 CET 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 14:32 +0100, Patco wrote:
> hello,
> you could use the patch you've made last month for am-radio and use it
> to measure latency...
>
> [message bang(
> |
> [t           b                  b]
> |                                |
> [modulator]               |
> |                                |
> [am-radio]                 |
> |                                |
> [dac~]                       |
> [adc~ 1]                   |
> |                               |
> [demodulator]          |
> |                              |
> [route message]      |
> |                             |
> [timer                       ]
> |
> [nbx]
>
> obviously the message is translated into voltage levels by a modulator
> and a demodulator.
> In the equation, you will need to substract the latency of the soundcard.
> hope you get what I mean, and find something in this way,
> best,
> patco.

hi patco

thank you for your thoughts. the problem is, that some time is needed to
detect, whether the amplitude changes or not. that means to point of the
change is not definable very precisely, which makes the measurements
inaccurate. also i cannot send the sound produced by the [pd am-radio]
to the speakers, because it uses a very high internal samplingrate
(~1.5MHz or the like).

roman