[PD] Sampler loop strategies

David Powers cyborgk at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 19:47:07 CET 2007

On 2/14/07, Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org> wrote:
> Hallo,
> Dafydd Hughes hat gesagt: // Dafydd Hughes wrote:
>
> > The best solution I can think of is to use 2 tabread4~'s, crossfading
> > for every pass of the loop.  Anybody have a better idea?
>
> I'd do the looping a bit differently: Standard would be to use a
> [phasor~] scaled so that it plays a certain section of the sample with
> [tabread4~].

I'm not sure this is good, for most uses. You can't assume that you
have good loop points, I like to set random loop points on the fly, in
fact - and so I think you really do need two buffers, because you are
fading out the start at the same time you are fading in the beginning
- otherwise you get clicks.  Or am I missing something in your
explanation?

I'm almost positive that the two buffer solution is what typical
hard/soft samplers do, isn't that true?

~David