[PD] Sampler loop strategies

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Feb 14 21:26:48 CET 2007

Hallo,
David Powers hat gesagt: // David Powers wrote:

> On 2/14/07, Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org> wrote:
> >Hallo,
> >Dafydd Hughes hat gesagt: // Dafydd Hughes wrote:
> >
> >> The best solution I can think of is to use 2 tabread4~'s, crossfading
> >> for every pass of the loop.  Anybody have a better idea?
> >
> >I'd do the looping a bit differently: Standard would be to use a
> >[phasor~] scaled so that it plays a certain section of the sample with
> >[tabread4~].
>
> I'm not sure this is good, for most uses. You can't assume that you
> have good loop points, I like to set random loop points on the fly, in
> fact - and so I think you really do need two buffers, because you are
> fading out the start at the same time you are fading in the beginning
> - otherwise you get clicks.  Or am I missing something in your
> explanation?

Actually I was assuming that you have good loop points indeed. From my
(short) tracker days I remember that tuning the loop points in a
sample was an important step to get it right. Fading in and out or
cross has the disadvantage that you may get artifacts from the amplitude
modulation.

However some approaches for fading (even with a single [tabread4~]) are
shown in the docs in the various *sampler*.pd files.

Ciao