[PD] GEM doesn't compile in Fedora Core 5

Pete Redest postal759 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 15 09:01:59 CET 2007

Hi there.
New to the list. Is it OK to ask about GEM here?
If yes, here is the question, if not, just advice me and I will try
something else.

This is the problem:

1. Trying to compile GEM in Fedora Core 5.
    - downloaded the packages gem-0.90.0.tar.gz  and GemLibs-LINUX-1.tar.gz
      from http://gem.iem.at/download.html and expanded them.
    - after installing imake, I compiled GemLibs successfully.
       (nowhere is written or hinted in an error message that building
        requires imake - had to find this from the name of a missing
        makedepend, and googling to find where it lives).

2. went to gem-0.90.0/src/Gnu and did ./configure
    $ ./configure
checking for glInitNames in -lGL... no
checking for glInitNames in -lMesaGL... no
OpenGL is mandatory

3. Initially I thought that something is wrong with my OpenGL libs, but
nothing is
    wrong with them. I even downloaded and compiled, with all the pain that
it is
    to do anything like this in Linux, the latest Mesa packages, version
6.5.2, and
    installed them. Their demo works just fine, even when not using Mesa but
    the libraries created by nVidia software.

4. I concluded that something is wrong with ./configure. Indeed, I confirmed
    googling the web that the validation of existence of functions in some
    scripts is broken.

5. Found a suggestion on the web to the effect of re-generating "configure",
    These are the steps:
    $  rm -f aclocal.m4
    $  autoupdate
    $  aclocal-1.4
    $  autoconf
    aclocal.m4:36: error: m4_defn: undefined macro: _m4_divert_diversion
    autoconf/libs.m4:134: AC_CHECK_LIB is expanded from...
    aclocal.m4:36: the top level
    autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
    That is, the autoconf data scripts are also broken, at least for Fedora
Core 5.

6. went googling again for _m4_divert_diversion and got a bzillion postings
    this, all discussing how screwed is the autoconf system that for its
    evolution no two versions of one utility are compatible with any other,
or maybe
    the same, version of another utility, that older scripts didn't generate
    and a bunch of other "whatevers". That is the reason why it was
    to use aclocal-1.4, an old version, rather than the current one, named
    "aclocal" (v1.9). With all the talking about this, I did not find a
    that can "fix" old versions of autoconf scripts to bring them
up-to-date, to
    be usable in FC5.

Perhaps there is such magic script, or some other way to migrate the
automatically to FC5 or FC6. Do you know of one?. Or how can I compile GEM
in FC5 in some other way?

Thank you for any help or hints.

PS. Of course it is expected that the solution found be compatible with the
Fedora Linux ways, i.e. wasting 1/2 day adjusting things, googling, editing,
re-compiling, filling-in missing packages, finding left-and-right that one
needs another 4 or 5 new or updated packages, that in turn require me to
X and C libraries, i.e. another 50 packages, which in turn require to
upgrade also
GNOME, Tcl/Tk, etc, etc, which in turn .... perhaps I better upgrade to FC6,
of course won't solve the problem either. And all this will make me
appreciate more
the wonderful life that we, the masochists that use Linux, are so used to
May be it will take a little longer than 1/2 day. May be a day and a half
... or a week?
or 2.

FREE online classifieds from Windows Live Expo – buy and sell with people
you know