[PD] measuring distance between speaker and microphon

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Mon Feb 19 16:46:07 CET 2007

hi mikka

thank you very much for all that detailed information and sorry for my
late reply. i didn't have too much time and i really wanted to have a
closer look at this before answering.

i am on linux, so i couldn't test your external. but from what you
describe in your mail, it follows a similar approach i tried as well,
the only difference is that yours obviously works, whereas i've had bad
luck yet with my tests ;-). maybe i am wrong, but i believe that the
method you describe could be implemented in plain pd without using
externals (this is at least what i hope).

am i right in thinking that the analysis part of your external also high
pass filters the incoming signal from the mic and the measures the time,
until a certain amplitude of the signal is triggered? i have many
problems implement this nicely. the main problem is i think is, that i
maybe should do the trigger mechanism adaptively, so that it works on
changing levels. how is that done in your external?

if you don't mind, it would be nice to have the source code of your
external, so that i could at least try to compile it, though i am not a
programmer myself and maybe i fail without a ready-made makefile. but
it's sure worth a try.

thank you again for sharing all that information about this topic.

best
roman