[PD] [PD-dev] tcl/tk 8.5, antialising, and large fonts lead to huge cpu overhead bug?

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico.bukvic at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 15:33:54 CET 2007

> You're right, it definitely shouldn't be that bad.  Have you tried
> this same test on different platforms, or with different versions of
> Tcl/Tk?  (I am guessing you are on Windows, which I don't use).  I

Nope. I am on a Linux box (not literally at this very moment, but I use PD
exclusively on Linux). I did try this on 2 different machines with same
results. Although both of them were AMD cpus (3000+ laptop and a 4800+
desktop, nicely loaded in terms of RAM etc.), since your test below was on a
totally different architecture, my hunch is that this has nothing to do with
cpu choice. The two also used two different distros.

> just tried on my G4 800 with Tcl/Tk 8.4.15-cvs.  I get about 50%
> usage from one num2 at 24 point at 100hz.

Is this with antialiased fonts? Either way, what we have so far suggests
that the tcl/tk is a real hog. With GriPD being apparently abandonware,
should one simply use Gem to display data that calls for refreshes faster
than 10Hz? To me this idea sounds like an overkill...

Ico