[PD] [textfile] behavior

David F. Place d at vidplace.com
Sun Mar 4 18:11:54 CET 2007

On Mar 4, 2007, at 11:52 AM, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> hi david
>
> i had a look at your patch, but i didn't come to a solution,
> respectively i wasn't able to figure out what the problem exactly is.

In the file big.txt, the process stops before it reaches the "control
mark" record.   I think that there may be a limited amount of
computation allowed in a control cycle.  Does Pd just abort the
control cycle if it runs out of time?  I tried this also with audio
turned off and saw the same behavior.

Perhaps you are not able to reproduce the behavior?  If you click
[read small.txt( then [4( you should see:

	cue: This is mark 4

If you click [read big.txt( the [4( you will see something else and
that is wrong.

> however, i think, what you want to achieve could be implemented much
> easier, particularly easier to read. what makes it very difficult to
> read, is the deep deepness of the message structure,  though at first
> glance it doesn't look like a very complicated patch. for example:
> before the right tree of a [trigger] is finished, it's 'banged' again,
> so that it is triggered several times, before the left tree starts the
> execution.  my mind is far too less capable of beeing aware, what the
> actual state on each step really is.
>
> i didn't make an example patch (ask me, if you want me to do so),
> but i
> have some ideas for another approach.  i think i would 'control' the
> [textfile] with an [until]-object. when triggered, [until]  keeps
> firing
> 'bang's  until you stop it. send the bangs to [textfile], so that on
> each bang it's going one line further. you could parse the output of
> [textfile], that  when the message, you are looking for, is coming out
> [textfile], you could stop [until], and you have the 'cue' at the
> desired position.
>
> hope that helps...
>
> roman
>
> On Sat, 2007-03-03 at 20:50 -0500, David F. Place wrote:
>> Pd:
>>
>> I am writing a sequencer using Pd and have bumped into the following
>> problem.  I would like to be able to position the textfile object to
>> start playback from a certain record.   The approach I have taken
>> works
>> for small files, but breaks down for large files.  I've abstracted
>> the
>> behavior into the attached patch. textfileBug.pd
>>
>> I suspect that it reflects some inadequacy in my understanding of Pd,
>> but just in case it is a bug, here are my system specs.
>>
>> Pd 0.41
>> Fedora Core 4
>> 64-bit AMD
>>
>> Thanks,
>> dP

> Der frühe Vogel fängt den Wurm. Hier gelangen Sie zum neuen Yahoo!
> Mail: http://mail.yahoo.de

David F. Place
mailto:d at vidplace.com