[PD] Packing pointers into lists

Alexandre Quessy listes at sourcelibre.com
Mon Mar 12 03:24:23 CET 2007

Hi all,
gpointers are used (de facto) to store pointers by many externals and
library. Would it be more stable to provide a standard data type for
pointers like gemchains, #grids and such ? I doubt, but it would be
more consistent.

BTW Chris, you can also use iem_anything to store and repeat *gem lists.

Cheers,

2007/3/6, Chris McCormick <chris at mccormick.cx>:
> On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 10:00:37PM +0100, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > Hallo,
> > Miller Puckette hat gesagt: // Miller Puckette wrote:
> >
> > > OK... looks like [list append] does deal with pointers almost correctly
> > > (I forgot I had done that), but there is a bug when you send a new
> > > list to its inlet re-entrantly.  I'll fix this for 0.41 but in the
> > > meantime you can work around it by forcing a copy of the outgoing
> > > message (send a list to "t b l" connected to the two inlets of "list append"
> > > to make a copy of the list)...
> >
> > Ah, this seems to work. I still get "consistency check failed:
> > gpointer_copy" messages however using Pd from current CVS. But it's
> > nice to see this in action generally.
>
> Shot in the dark; so does this mean we can store GEM pointers in
> lists too? That would be neat because then you could make a non-zexy
> abstraction-only [repeat] object.
>
> Best,
>
> Chris.

Alexandre Quessy