[PD] Help - filters & band limited oscillators!

David Powers cyborgk at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 10:05:28 CET 2007

Hello everyone,

I tried google and it was no help, and the server for the list archive
seems to be down temporarily.

Anyway, I'm giving a free (as in free beer) workshop in Chicago in
about 16 hours, on the basics of digital synthesis. I have decided to
use Pure Data to give my presentation, and use mostly non-commercial
software.

However, I'm still missing the following for demonstrating "proper"
subtractive synthesis:
1. Good, out of the box "analog-sounding" filters. I'm using [moog~]
right now, but I'm not all that satisfied with the sound compared to
the filters in my favorite VST's ...
2. Band-limited square and sawtooth waveforms.

For teaching purposes PD is great, and ideal for my demonstrations.
But as it is, I'm having to use VST's within PD in order to
demonstrate a "nice sounding" synth. It would be nice to show that PD
can do it without using stuff built in Steinberg's format. That would
also let the Mac people replicate my work, if they are interested.
Note, nobody in the workshop has ever tried Linux, except me, so Linux
plugins are not helpful in this case.

I will post my patches after I give the workshop, though they are
nothing fancy ... just basic:
sequencer - oscillator - vca - filter. Good for demoing though, I'm
starting with additive first, then subtractive.

~David