[PD] Zexy object urn bug?

Bosko Milakovic bmilakovic at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 27 19:33:12 CEST 2007

Hi!

>From: IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>
>To: Bosko Milakovic <bmilakovic at hotmail.com>
>CC: pd-list at iem.at
>Subject: Re: [PD] Zexy object urn bug?
>Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 15:37:32 +0200
>
>Bosko Milakovic wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I have a question about Zexy (2.1) object urn. I think there is a bug in
>the
> > second outlet. In the help patch this is writen:
> >
> > "when all the numbers have been drawn from the pool, the system is reset
> > (the numbers are put back) and a bang is emitted via the second outlet"
> >
> > But this is not true. Bang is emitted not on the last number from the
>pool
> > (list) but on the first number of the next cycle! Hm. I'm using this
>object
>
>you are right.
>

> > in my patch and it took me cca 2 hours to find why patch doesn't work:)
>
>but why did your patch refuse to work because of this?
>it would be good to have an example that proves that the behaviour
>should really be fixed (probably i am just to tired to think of one...)

It's an important part of the patch where after urn generates n unique
random numbers (n is always different) another abstraction expects bang to
move forward and do some work... But it's important that bang comes after
the last generated number from the pool, and not on the first of the new
cycle. Then it's too late.

>are there any built-in objects that behave like you are expecting [urn]
>to behave? (apart from outputting unique random numbers, that is)

I expected to be like second outlet from textfile object: on the end of
sequence you get bang. That what I expected from urn because it was writen
in help patch. Now I had to add counter to urn that counts every generated
number and when it gets to n number, number is selected with [sel] which
send bang.... It's not problem for me but I thought it would be good to have
object like that.

Thanks

Bosko