[PD] [not really OT] a contemporary sensibility?

Greg Pond gregpond at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 23:36:21 CEST 2007

Kevin,

 These ideas are interesting. I would also look at
the chess career of Marcel Duchamp as a possible corollary that predates our
technologies. I think it addresses similar ideas:

 Bounce these quotes by Duchamp off Debord, Deleuze and Guattari- also
don't forget Bourriaud:

"I am still a victim of chess. It has all the beauty of art - and much
more. It cannot be commercialized. Chess is much purer than art in its
social position."

"The chess pieces are the block alphabet which shapes thoughts; and
these thoughts, although making a visual design on the chess-board,
express their beauty abstractly, like a poem... I have come to the
personal conclusion that while all artists are not chess players, all
chess players are artists."

Here is Duchamp's competition record:
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessplayer?pid=36967

good topic- more to discuss...