[PD] hid, routing different devices

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Apr 14 19:18:25 CEST 2007

Hallo,
moritz hat gesagt: // moritz wrote:

> i'm playing around with a lot of usb-devices (joysticks/gamepads)..
>
> my problem is i want to route all this devices, but choosing a device by
> its hex value or name don't work with my hid. (compiled on Oct 9 2006 on
> übüntü däppr, i also tried a hid from a recent autobuild..)
>
> Because i want to connect the devices ignoring the order of plugging in,
> the devices are every time on a different /dev/input/*..
>
> how can i route the different devices? the [info( -message outputs me a
> stressful symbol with spaces in the name.

Are you already using udev? It has this nice automatic labelling
system, where you can access devices by id and by name. For example
here it looks like this:

$ ls -l  /dev/input/by-id/
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Apr 14 19:16 usb-6666_0667-event-joystick -> ../event5
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Mar  4 11:53 usb-Logitech_USB-PS.2_Optical_Mouse-event-mouse -> ../event4
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Mar  4 11:53 usb-Logitech_USB-PS.2_Optical_Mouse-mouse -> ../mouse0

The device IDs will always stay the same. It is probably possible to use these for [hid].

Ciao