[PD] [PD-announce] Pd-0.39.2-extended-rc1 released // fonts

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Apr 16 19:34:29 CEST 2007

Hallo,
Miller Puckette hat gesagt: // Miller Puckette wrote:

> I think that, since font sizes now differ between platforms, it's probably
> OK to introduce a new, uniform font size as long as it doesn't exceed that
> of any currently used one by more than about a pixel... and indeed, it will
> be a huge benefit to get this straightened out at last!

Yep, definitely.

I now had a real look at pd-extended.  Some comments: The properties
menu for IEMGUIs still explicitly specify names like "Deja Sans ..."
or "Helvetica". I think, it would be better to use more general names:
"Mono", "Sans Serif" and "Serif". That way it would be easier to map
the names to different font faces eventially or when "-typeface X" is
used.

Then very much, even with Deja, I would prefer to have a bold typeface
back. I find the non-bold fonts hard to read and for my tastes they
are too similar in width to the object borders. Btw: the number in
number boxes is positioned a little bit to low, not in the center.

_From a quick glance at pd.tk I still don't like, that the font face
is hardcoded in many places. I'm tcl-illiterate, but it would be nice
to have the fonts defined in just one place. One end goal IMO should
be a system similar to the one in Desire Data: Here you can totally
change the graphical appearance, from colors to fonts and beyond, by
editing a GUI config file. With hardcoded font names everywhere this
is porbably harder to realize.

Also after seeing Chun's DD presentation at "make art" last week I
fell in love with the Zoom feature of Desire Data: If like me one is
sight impaired when in front of a screen (yep, I'm aproaching 40),
with current Pd it is necessary to change the font size, which, even
with the Deja-font and pd-extended, will still break the layout of a
patch. Instead of that, zooming into a patch would be a much better
solution for handicapped users.

Ciao