[PD] [PD-announce] Pd-0.39.2-extended-rc1 released // fonts

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Apr 17 04:55:37 CEST 2007

On Apr 16, 2007, at 5:40 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>> I forgot to ask more questions about this.  It's a significant
>> change, but not one that I have not put considerable thought into.
>>
>> What font size to do use for your Pd patches?  When you use fonts of
>> this size in other apps, do you have it set to bold?.  I thought
>> about it and looked around, and I noticed that nobody that I saw uses
>> bold fonts for text unless it's a header or special case.
>
> I use bold in every text editor and terminal I use, which is, where I
> use mono fonts. Normally I use Lucida Sans Mono Bold or set
> Bitstream Vera Sans Mono Bold. I think, in general it's best to let
> people choose, however it's not possible to use "-typeface" or "-font"
> to switch between bold and normal.
>
>> Even when  reading code.  Also, most people don't use 10pt fonts for
>> normal  reading.  For example, the default font for web pages is
>> usually 12pt  or 16pt.
>
> It's because web people optimize for Windows! Windows still has a
> default DPI setting of 75 IIRC which is really old school on most
> modern screens. On my current machine I have a DPI of 90x89, which
> results in Windows websites having a very small font. With small 12"
> laptops and high resolutions the DPI settings get even more confusing
> for web and GUI designers. In the long run, zooming/scaling is the
> only solution that could make everyone happy.
>
>> I think that Pd's text is not really like reading a block of text,
>> but maybe more like webpage menus.  It seems those are mostly not in
>> bold fonts also, but sometimes are.
>
> Menu styling is a fashion thing, which will change every year. On the
> site I manage (www.dradio.de) our designer made every menu bold, teh
> NY Times has no bold menu at all.

Ideally, Pd would support custom fonts and scaling, but currently it
does not.  That means right now, one font needs to be the default.

I just tested on Windows.  Apparently I lied somewhat, it's a bit
better, but still whacked.  I guess I still need to do more work...
what a PITA... apparently, Windows needs "tk scaling 1" to be the
same size as the other platforms.  There must be something strange
going on it that because setting "tk scaling 1" on Windows makes
everything look good except the menu fonts are  tiny.

.hc