[PD] can't run Gem in Fedora with generic graphics (no GLX shader)?

chris clepper cgclepper at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 14:45:31 CEST 2007

On 4/18/07, IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:

> it would take some work to not only use the GLEW functions stubs but
> also to check whether the calls are supported; i guess this work is
> rather easy but dull

It would take a long time to put GLEW checks in every object that uses GL,
but that is probably not needed.  Starting with the most troublesome objects
like the shader and texturing objects would be less work but the results
would be incomplete.

The big problem I found with GLEW is that, on Windows at least, it requires
a working window context in order to return the correct info.  The
assumption appears to be that you only use OpenGL for games and the first
thing your game does is take complete control of the computer and put a
fullscreen context up.  You are writing a game right?  Any checks I put in
GemMan were worthless and so are checks in the object constructors.  That
limits the usefulness of GLEW although a check in startRender() can work for
certain features.