[PD] Linux - which distribution to use?

Thomas Jeppesen Jeppesen at skydebanen.net
Thu Apr 19 00:11:51 CEST 2007

Hi all,

I've been trying to get PD up and running on linux for a while, but so far I've not been lucky, prolly because I'm a linux nub. The first installation I tried (Fedora) didn't have a familiar interface. The second (Ubuntu) did, but I couldn't install PD on it for some unknow reason. I used a tar-ball installation, and ran the "make install"-command and it did install on the computer, but PD just wouldn't start up. On the third distribution I tried JackLab, PD worked, but I had no internet connection.
I'm used to run normal pc's (Windows), so I'm after a distribution that has a graphic desktop environment to not make it too unfamiliar for starters. But most of all I'm after a distribution that will run PD-extended and do it good. Does any of you have any recommendations to which distribution to choose and perhaps good linux and audio-sites for nubs like me?

Cheers!
Thomas