[PD] Linux - which distribution to use?

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Thu Apr 19 00:20:35 CEST 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 19:06 +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Roman Haefeli hat gesagt: // Roman Haefeli wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 17:01 +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > > Me, too. Debian rules. Other than that pure:dyne rules as well.
> >
> > i agree, though ubuntu is also a debian derivative, but sometimes much
> > easier to use than debian and from my experience comes with better
> > maintained repos. as a beginner, i'd still vote for ubuntu.
>
> Most of the packages in Ubuntu come directly from Debian. When I was
> running Ubuntu on my laptop, I found, that I wasn't using the stuff,
> that's not in Debian, at all, so I reverted this system from Ubuntu to
> Debian again. OTOH packages from Ubuntu often flow back to Debian. In
> the end, it's a matter of taste.

i don't want to be an ass and please don't get me wrong, when i hook
into it again. i fully agree with you. i started doing linux with
debian, too. though in the end, all problems i had turned out to be
manageable (and based on my lack of knowledge), i wish i had started
with ubuntu first retrospectively, just because you have to make less
decisions in order to get a working box, that 'just works' in everyday
life. i dare say, that ubuntu is the most easy os to install at all, not
only the easiest linux.
when starting with linux, i had to realize that i hardly know anything
about computers. i didn't even know, what a window manager is (least of
all, that also windows uses a window manager, but the fact that windows
tries to hide essential stuff from the user, so that he/she stays
unaware about computers is anothe story) and that i was supposed to
choose and install one, if i want to have a graphical interface. quite
many steps were involved, until i had a running pd.
i believe, in ubuntu much lesser steps are needed until pd runs. for a
sligthly more advanced user, many steps seem to be obvious and are done
fast, but for an innocent, naked, virgin noob (sorry for the strange
wording), like i was two and a half years ago, each step can be a real
pain.
of course, at the end you don't have more or less possibilities in one
or the other.

just my 4cents (now, i'm broke  :-)

roman