[PD] FTGL

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Apr 19 16:33:08 CEST 2007

timon wrote:

>>> Hi, I posted a question last week on why [textextruded] wasnt working. I
>>> got the answer, GEM must be compiled with FTGL.
>>> So why was it changed in the first place? It seemed to be running fine
>>> (or sort of) and now it aint working at all. And sadly I dont know how
>>> to compile GEM with FTGL.
>>
>> please note that [textextruded] was only introduced into Gem because of
>> FTGL (the old fontrendering library used was GLTT which had no such
>> thing as extruded text).
>>
>> so the answer is: in order to have [textextruded] working, you must
>> compile Gem with FTGL; there have never been another way to get extruded
>> text.
>>

> The versions I have been using has all that working. And from what your
> saying, this version was compiled with FTGL.:
> GEM: ver: 0.90
> GEM: compiled: Mar  8 2006

correct

> This one is not:
> GEM: Graphics Environment for Multimedia
> GEM: ver: 0.91-cvs
> GEM: compiled: Apr 14 2007
>
> So what your saying is that the current version of GEM is not compiled
> with FTGL. I guess what Im trying to get an answer to is why the current

correct

> version of GEM is not compiled with FTGL? Are there any plans for doing
> that (very impatient I know)?

well of course; Gem's font support is designed to be compiled with FTGL
on all platforms (btw, this was another bonus of using FTGL as it runs
on linux, os-x and w32)

i don't know why your version of Gem is not compiled with FTGL, but i
doubt that i compiled it (so i am not to blame).

if it is the version taken from pd-extended, than there is a reason for
not having FTGL (well, even if it is not from pd-extended, i guess there
is a reason for being compiled without FTGL; but in pd-extended i happen
to know about it):
compiling Gem with FTGL requires FTGL to be available on the compiling
machine.
this is simply not the case on the pd-extended OS-X build-machine,
because there are no FTGL-packages available from fink.
while the (deprecated) GemLibs do have a version of FTGL checked in, no
automated build-system is provided for it.
so FTGL gets not compiled on the build-system, which means that it is
not available for Gem.

there are several things you can do about this:
- build Gem by hand (it is not that hard to do; you can find
step-by-step instructions how i did it in the gem-dev archives)
- try to get FTGL in GemLibs to be automatically build on the
buil-machine and make Gem use it
- try to get FTGL into fink

>>> Whats the reason for this grand change? Any future benefits? Will it
>>> support a full UTF-8 character map?
>> like chris has said, there has not been a grand change regarding fonts
>> for years.
>> and yes, the text-objects in current CVS support full Unicode (well not
>> full: only the first 65000 or so) characters.
>>

> With regards to full character set... I did some tests a while back,

a "while back" is probably out of date.
i have (hopefully) fixed this within the last 2 weeks.
i have only tested it on linux, so i would be glad for w32 and os-x reports.

mfasdr
IOhannes