[PD] high level beat detection

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Apr 23 13:26:23 CEST 2007

ronny vanden bempt wrote:
> Hey,
> We're busy with making a beat detector in Pd, but we're stuck in such a
> way that we want stopped trying to implement it as a patch. We're now
> skinning our matlab code to make it as fast and small as possible. After
> that we'll translate it to C code (hopefully the matlab-to-C compiiler
> helps us a little bit, because we're not so experienced in C
> programming). And then we'll try to turn it into a Pd external. I
> already worked through the external tutorial of Zmölnig, but I still
> have some questions:
>
>     * How to use the the x_, a_ and t_ prefixes

use them at your own will...

however:
the "t_" prefix are used to denote "this name is a 'type'" (this is: for
any type you declare via 'typedef', prefix it with "t_").
other people use other conventions (e.g. by postfixing "_t" to types);

the "a_" prefix usually denotes "element of the 'atom'-structure"
(actually of the 't_atom', see above).

the "x_" prefix usually denotes "element of the 'x'-structure" (whatever
'x' means; in miller's (and most derived) code, "x" is the name of the
class _variable_ (not the type))

for computers (compilers) you can use whatever, it is really just for
humans to make your code more readable.

>     * I already understand how to compile and so on, but does anyone
>       know a good C editor, free and windows (or is that a contradiction?)

no it is not a contradiction. there is xemacs on windows.
probably uedit is good too (haven't used it for years).
you might also want to code in notepad, but don't try M$Word.

>     * How can we test and compile a 'block'  without the main methods or
>       header files included? Or how do you have to do that?

why would you?
this question seems rather theoritical to me.
the usual way to include a header-file is by using the '#include'
preprocessor directive ;-)

fmgasdr
IOhannes