[PD] RRADical users: Memento changes

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Apr 29 17:58:17 CEST 2007

Hallo,
Roman Haefeli hat gesagt: // Roman Haefeli wrote:

> On Sat, 2007-04-28 at 10:03 +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
> > * But first a cleanup of the ugly patchcord mess is necessary to
> >   comply with the "footils.org readability dogma 2.0"
>
> url, please! i'd really like to read it, but google didn't give me any
> results, neither did a search for 'readability' or 'dogma' on
> footils.org.

Sorry, that actually was just a joke: there is no written dogma. ;)

However if you look for example at my [list]-abs objects: They are
dogma compatible as far as I see.

Maybe I should make one up now:

The Left Wing Dogma
-------------------

Patchcords must be "left-aligned": cords leaving a left outlet or
entering a left inlet must be strictly vertical.

The Right Wing Dogma
--------------------

Idiomatic or pattern-like constructs like counters however should grow
to the right and not to the bottom:

Good: [f 0]x[+ 1]x[mod 10]

Bad: [f ]
     [+ 1]
     [mod 10]

The Miller's Crossing Dogma
---------------------------

Crossing patchcords have to be avoided, unless this conflicts with The
Left or Right Wing Dogma.

The Trigger Dogma
-----------------

Only "a" and "b" are allowed in trigger objects.

The Short Dogma
---------------

"a" is better than "anything" (unless it conflicts with Left, Right or
Crossing Dogma). "t" is better than "trigger". "t" is less of an object,
and more of a patch cord. Sparse is better than dense.

(Reasoning: Screen space is expensive. But more importantly: Pd is
a graphical language, Pd patches aren't read word by word, but as as
collection of object groups layed out in certain reoccuring patterns
or idioms. [f 0]X[+ 1] is such an idiom. [float 0]X[+ 1] looks less
familiar.)

The Black and White Dogma

[cnv] is bad, "comment" is good.

The Execution Order Dogma

Abstractions and subpatches have to fire right to left.

Maybe I'll think up some more of these later.

Ciao