[PD] spaces in filenames

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Mon Apr 30 02:02:16 CEST 2007

On Sun, 2007-04-29 at 23:36 +0100, Damian Stewart wrote:
> how come when i do this
>
> [bang(
> |
> [openpanel]
> |
> [read -resize $1 sample(
> |
> [soundfiler]

if you put a [print] after [openpanel], you'll see:

print: symbol /music/samples/bird songs/tui call.wav

> i can point it at /music/samples/bird songs/tui call.wav and it will load fine,
>
> but if i do this
>
> [bang(
> |
> [/music/samples/bird songs/tui call.wav(

if you put a print here, you'll see:

print: /music/samples/bird songs/tui call.wav

wich is not the same as the output from above.

i'll try to explain, what happens here in my own words, though i don't
know the inner coherences of pd.

normally, a white space is used as a delimiter in pd, that means, pd can
separate the different elements of a message by white spaces. a
'symbol'-message is only able to hold one element. any further elements
are omitted. so if you try that:

[one two(

[symbol]

you'll get 'symbol one'.  also, if you do:

[symbol one two(  <- message box

[print]

it will only print 'symbol one'.

now, you'll certainly ask: 'but why does [openpanel] give me
symbol-messages, that can ontain spaces?'

the answer is: i don't know. i think, this 'feature' was introduced some
time ago to allow spaces in pathes. i know, that is possible to have
spaces in symbols, but it needs 'special' ways to make them. there is
for example the [list2symbol] from the zexy library, with that you can
create them:

[list one two(

[l2s]

gives you 'symbol one two'

but if you send such a symbol over tcp-connection, e.g.
[netsend]/[netreceive], the message gets converted into a two element
message.

this all sounds all very confusing and it took me quite some time to
figure all details out. that's why i recommend to avoid spaces,
whereever possible, when working with pd.

roman