[PD] Writing OSC applications in XUL

Andre Schmidt andre at osku.de
Mon Apr 30 13:37:20 CEST 2007

On Sat, 2007-04-28 at 15:49 -0400, Stephen Sinclair wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > is there a serialization for PD messages inside OSC? for example
> > so one could load a webpage containing some XUL data hosted
> > on padawan's site...it could check for a local PD instance, and
> > shuttle the patch data over and open it..
>
> If I understand you correctly, yes this is something I had in mind.
> Perhaps it could be used in a firefox extension instead of in a
> XULrunner app, so that you could browse to a server that hosts your
> audio interfaces.  That would make setting up a networked audio system
> very nice and easy.
>
> I'm not sure how it would work exactly in terms of the Mozilla
> security architecture, however, since as I understand it, remotely
> loaded pages can't access XPCOM components.  I'm really not an expert
> with Mozilla, so if anyone has ideas on how to accomplish something
> like that I'd all ears.

yup, thats the same i encountered, if you want to "easily" connect to
XPCOM with mozilla/firefox, you have to do that code as an extension.

heres an "old" test that i made:

http://www.osku.de/pd/foo/ff-pd_socket-example.png
http://www.osku.de/pd/foo/ff-pd_socket-example.tar.gz

> Originally I wanted to do this is 100% javascript instead of having to
> create an XPCOM component, but it seems there is no way to have JS
> send UDP messages from a XUL app.  As far I can tell anyways.

here i started to try to make a SVGUI library for XULRunner and PD:

http://www.osku.de/pd/libsvgui001.png
http://www.osku.de/pd/libsvgui001.tar.gz

.andre