[PD] Vote your font! [was: fonts on GNU/Linux]

*~ chun at goto10.org
Sat May 19 18:41:33 CEST 2007

Hans-Christoph Steiner said :

> On May 18, 2007, at 12:52 PM, [*~] wrote:
>
> > Derek Holzer said :
> >> Well, since everybody else is doing it....
> >>
> >> [x] normal.png
> >> [ ] bold.png
> >>
> >> Bold is just too heavy and space-filling for normal use. The
> >> ability to
> >> switch to bold (or even designate certain comments as boldface) seems
> >> much more logical, captain.
> >
> > [x] bold.png
> >
> > hum, i would vote for bold. although i can understand the space-
> > filling issue, bold is still easier to
> > read(for me). besides, it might also be eaiser for new users too,
> > making reading help/tutorial files less
> > painfull..
>
> I am curious why you would choose bold here, yet in desiredata, you
> choose a normal font.  Is there some specifics about the font
> itself?  Maybe it would make sense to draw the boxes lighter, like
> not quite black, but more a dark gray.  That would make the normal
> font stand out more.

my choice was not entirely derived from my personal perference, but based on (what i think) the general
readability between the two choices. i mean, on my own system, i use *very* small font system wide, because i like
it that way. as to desiredata, the screenshots so far are only for demo purposes, showing whatever features
that are there. i mean, if i am using desiredata everyday for myself, i sure will prefer bold, rather
normal.

and yes, ultimately, it would be perfect if all elements can be cumstomized. ie. lighter object boxes, or
no object boxes at all;) but we are not quite there yet..

chun