[PD] puredata evolution

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun May 27 23:59:57 CEST 2007

That's an interesting talk, they point out a number of key issues
that have affected us as a community.  I think the idea of "poisonous
people" is a useful one, but I would take the focus away from
"people" and talk more about "poisonous activities".  While there are
definitely some people who have been more poisonous than others, I
think that probably every single Pd developer at some point has been
poisonous.  I know I have and I have been thinking a fair amount
about how to stop myself from doing that.  I guess the easiest thing
I have been trying to do is to spend less time arguing in email and
more time coding.

Another point they talk about is having a focus.  I think Pd suffers
from the lack of focus.  As a software project, it has an unusual
structure, which makes it difficult to clearly outline the focus.
That's something I am planning on working on in the coming months,
trying to figure out my own focus in all this.  Pd is quite a bit
different here also since it covers a very wide range of topics, so
there isn't really the possibility of a strong focus like with
subversion.

Hopefully we can discuss this more at the Pd Convention.  It's always
many times more productive to speak face-to-face.  Plus I think it's
many times more fun than sitting alone behind the laptop...

.hc