[PD] gem based multi headed "media player"

moritz erstens at gmx.ch
Mon Jun 4 17:12:27 CEST 2007

Tim Boykett wrote:

> hi,
>
> has anyone had any experience using (multiple) gem(s)
> to output several videos simultaneously on a multiheaded
> (linux) box?
>
> the questions that arise as we ponder this is how much CPU gets
> used to decode the video, how much to render, how much the
> graphics cards can take away effort from the CPU, what sort of
> idea of harddisks can make the data transfer more efficent, etc.
>
> any experiences? any suggestions?
>
> cheers,
>
> tim

hello

with a P4 2.ghz and very important, a graphic card with its own memory
(with restricted drivers, opengl support, here nvüdüa ) under ubuntu can
i buffer (with pix_buffer) more than 8 videos all at 16 seconds length
but this are not videos from a harddisk, but directly from one webcam
--> cpu uses less than 10%...so the graphiccard does here his job very well.
but at this point pd has nothing to handle with the harddisk.

i dont have experiences reading non-live videos (from harddisk) and Gem.

When i want to render the gemwindow to harddisk with pix_record and
pix_snap i have a cpu-load of 100%, tested with all available codecs..
sometimes pd crashes, sometimes i got corrupt movie-files, few times i
got playable movies. i got not a stable solution now for rendering.

cio

moritz