[PD] netserver port availability

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Tue Jun 5 11:24:02 CEST 2007

hello max

i was told, that it is not related to pd itself, but to the kernel. when
connections are not properly closed, then the kernel sets the specific
port into kind of a 'wait for closing'-state. sometimes it takes up to
10 minutes, until the state changes to 'finished', but only then this
specific port is freed again and you can create a [netserver] again.
(this is a very clumsy explanation, someone with a deeper understanding
of how the kernel handels tcp connections could explain that much more
adequate).
anyway, i think there is no workaround for this on the pd-side, it
seems. i had the impression, that in case of a server-crash, it helps,
when each connected client closes the connection (read: send a
[disconnect(-message to [netclient]), although the connection seems
already closed. netpd suffers from this problem as well.

roman