[PD] Turning on/off an installation

Alexandre Quessy listes at sourcelibre.com
Tue Jun 26 08:17:37 CEST 2007

HI all !
Nice thread, no doubt. Will read more later...
My concern is about creating a simple way so that anyone that is
allowed can easily turn on and off and installation. I mean the whole
power, not just the sound or video. Of course, I am more into lasting
installations too. ;)

For a window manager. I benchmarked a bit, and I found that Icewm is
faster than Fluxbox and some other similar (blackbox and madwm, I
think). It looks like Win98, though... For this time, I want no X11 at
all, though.

2007/6/26, simon wise <simonxwise at hotmail.com>:

> On 26 Jun 2007, at 4:40 AM, Max Neupert wrote:
>
> >> the sleep script works nicely, but the logoff one fails -  "shut
> >> down" and "sleep" are valid for Finder in an Applescript, but "log
> >> out" isn't.
> >
> > first i think you need to activate UI-Scripting.
> > http://www.apple.com/applescript/uiscripting/01.html
> >
> > you'll have in your "System events" applescript library a "power
> > suite" folder with
> > log out
>
> found them - they are under "System Events" but not "Finder"
> - so the proper Applescript syntax is:
>

> tell application "System Events"
>         log out
> end tell
>

> now the script works properly,
> plus using
>
> [open /Users/simon/sleep.app(
> [ggee/shell]
>
> works - Pd quits first, then the system sleeps or logs out or
> whatever next.
>

> The "pd quit unexpectedly" error message still gets displayed, it
> seems to be a [shell] problem -
> I seem to remember a thread about that a year or so ago - I'll search
> for it, but it doesn't matter if I just want to log out or shut down
>
>     - thanks for that, my next installations will be cleaner!
>

> Do you know a way (in OSX) to create Logout Items similar to Login
> Items in the Accounts Preferences?
>
> to set up timed events I've used CronniX from http://
> www.abstracture.de/cronnix (easy + free GUI to create crontabs =>
> schedule events eg the Applescripts above)
>

> simon

Alexandre Quessy
http://alexandre.quessy.net
http://www.puredata.info/Members/aalex