[PD] [hid] resolution

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Jun 29 12:51:24 CEST 2007

There are a lot of different resolutions going on here, so I'll try
to outline them.

- The spatial resolution of each event report is determined by the
device itself.  For example, I've seen joysticks axes have spatial
resolutions of 20-85, 0-127, 0-255, and 0-4096.

- The time interval resolution is also set by the device and mostly
the OS respects that.  Usually it is set to 10ms, which is plenty
fast for most applications

- [hid] has a settable poll time.  [hid] polls the OS to get the
events.  It defaults to 5ms, IIRC, and can be changed.  But there is
really little reason to change this, and this functionality is being
removed from [hidio].

The xorg settings won't affect [hid] at all, it gets the data
directly from the kernel driver.  The xorg data has been processed
and converted into something that makes sense to control a mouse
pointer on the screen.  [hid] gives you just the raw data.

.hc