[PD] console focus after soundfiler load

Kevin McCoy km.takewithyou at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 17:59:21 CEST 2007

Hi all,

I would like to make a small request for pd for linux, but I wanted to
post to the list before putting it on the tracker as a bug or feature
request - could it be made so that when you load a sample with
soundfiler, the console window does not get the focus after loading
the file?  This is no small irritation when loading multiple samples,
and if one is not running in verbose mode, there's not even any useful
information provided by the console.

I am running ubuntu studio 7.04 with gnome/fluxbox.  I know that the
only message that comes back from a soundfiler load in verbose is that
it was successful.  Other messages, however, don't cause the console
to get focus - they simply appear in the terminal in the background.
Is there a workaround for this, or can it be addressed in the code?
Was it done on purpose, perhaps?

I have tested this with 39-2 extended and Miller's 0.40-2, but perhaps
the request could apply for all versions of pd on linux.  This never
seemed to be an issue on OS X when I was using that.  I personally
don't think the console should ever be forced to the front of the
screen after startup, but should rather run quietly in the background,
available for reference when it is called upon.

Thanks!