[PD] Obscure pd externals in search path shadow .pd files in current working directory

Julius Smith jos at ccrma.stanford.edu
Fri Jul 27 19:07:23 CEST 2007

Hi All,

In figuring out why seqdemo.pd did not work (in the cool
faust/tools/faust2pd/examples distribution), I discovered that the local
file ./seq.pd was being shadowed by /usr/lib/pd/extra/cyclone/seq.pd_linux.
It appears that, due to search order, all externals, wherever they may
reside in the search path, take precedence over .pd files, even those in the
current working directory.  I think both externals and subpatches in the cwd
should take precedence over the rest of the search path. Also, I would
expect subpatches to take precedence over externals in the same directory
(with a warning about the shadowing printed to the console).

My workaround, by the way, was to rename seq.pd to seqr. pd in the seqdemo
directory.

Cheers,
Julius