[PD] midi controller advice?

Martin Dupras martindupras at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 11:54:55 CEST 2007

I also use an FCB1010 with pretty good results.

Mine has never failed and I have used it extensively and travelled with it
with no problem whatsoever.

My own experience with the expression pedals is very positive: not sure if
I'm set up differently but the pedals are completely linear and they will
give me nearly the whole range (probably around values between 5 and 127).
I'm not sure I understand that 80% of the range giving 10% of the values
comment. The exp controllers only use 7 bits and not 14, but I never found
it to be a problem.

I have an FCB1010 abstraction that I've made. If it's useful to anyone,
email me and I can send it to you.

On another note, I have had very good success building my own pedalboard
based on an arduino. Right now mine has twelve carling momentary
footswitches, and I'm planning to put in 6 jack sockets to connect
expression pedals. The carling switches are not cheap (they cost me about
£3ukp each) but they are very robust and they feel right to a guitar player.
I had a metal fabrication company build me the casing from a drawing. The
box is wedge shaped (lower towards me than the back) , and about 50cms long,
20cms deep, with two rows of 6 switches. That cost me about £60ukp. I'm very
happy with it, and it responds better and faster in my estimation than the
FCB1010. I loaded the arduino with HC Steiner's brilliant pduino firmware,
and read the data with the pduino object.

- martin