[PD] Gem and ieee1394 firewire cam on linux debian

Tim Boykett tim at timesup.org
Tue Aug 14 22:19:32 CEST 2007

Hi Kids!

   Time for a new adventure. I would like to have a working
firewire camera input for manipulation in Gem on a linux
box that is sitting here purring at me. The cam works
fine with Kino and dvgrab, so the linux-firewire connection
is all well.

But I am having no luck with pix_video or pdp_v4l. The main problem
seems to be that (apparently) recently the naming conventions
in debian and possibly linux in general were changed. So there is
no more /dev/video0 for the v4l mode, and for pix_video trying to
work directly with ieee1394, I get complaints that /dev/ieee1394/dv/
host/PAL/in
"Is a directory".

Has anyone had more luck? Do I need to going from stable to testing in
some parts of debian? Do I need to use some special somethings?

Looking forward to the d'Oh moment,

   Tim