[PD] $0 in messages (was: Re: difference send and using msg with "; ")

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 13:50:51 CEST 2007

Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, marius schebella wrote:
>
>> I would give most priority to any kind of $0 feature in messages. and
>> then the next step for me would be to differentiate between
>> $-variables (in messages) and # or ? or @ variables in patches. that
>> way you would not break backwards compatibility,
>
> What about patches that use # or ? or @ to mean something else already?
>
> By treating all character combinations to be valid unless otherwise
> used, Pd has painted itself in a corner about extending functionality.
> Anything new breaks some compatibility: you can only hope that a certain
> combination of characters is not already in use by actual patches, but
> you can't even know that.

You are right, I thought it is unlikely that people use these characters
often, but who knows. (maybe a search on the existing abstractions in
the repository will give some clues.)

even with a combination of charactars $$ ## #$ $# @@ ?? you can't be
sure that they are not used before.

but we have forums and lists, and I think that should be sufficiant to
find a possible solution.

marius.